- Last Updated: Monday, 25 July 2022 14:57
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Science Central, a hands-on science center (physical, natural and applied sciences), is currently hiring a knowledgeable, self-directed, creative, outgoing, highly-skilled and organized individual to direct its education department (on-site, outreach, distance learning, etc.). This is a professional, senior-level position, reporting to the executive director. As a member of the leadership team, the job requires previous experience in informal science education, program development, staff management, project planning, grants management and multi-tasking high-level concurrent and future activities. This is a “hands-on” position and the employee will spend much of their time doing as well as designing and directing.
Duties will include:
- lead in the development, planning, scheduling, staffing and presentation of all science center programs (demos, camps, outreach, online learning, workshops, etc.);
- responsible for monitoring and the continuous growth of all revenue and non-revenue programs, numbers, finances and data;
- hire, train and manage outreach, school/public and special programs full-time, part-time and seasonal staff;
- have a strong presence in the educational community (schools, universities, community centers, scouts, etc.);
- manage various Strategic Plan components;
- participate in and/or lead various internal and community committees;
- assist with researching, writing, and reviewing grants and grant reports, and managing grant activities and funds
- collect and analyze programs and program-participant data
REQUIRED SKILLS: Comfortable with and interested in science and public education; have a strong background in program development, planning and presentation; experience in researching and writing program scripts; grant writing and management; exceptional communication skills (with staff and colleagues) and public speaking abilities (comfortable working with audiences of all sizes/ ages/backgrounds), outgoing, flexible, professional in attitude and appearance; energetic, enthusiastic; highly organized, strong leadership abilities; must be able to be both self-directed and work in a team-oriented environment; have strong sense of humor; moderate lifting (approx. 40 lbs.) when setting-up chairs, tables, equipment, etc.; ability to work occasional long hours.
QUALIFICATIONS: This is not an entry-level position. Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (science, education, etc.); college-level science classes; experience in the informal science education field (science center, science museum, children’s museum, nature center, zoo/aquarium, etc.) preferred; must have proven experience with all levels of staff management. Ability to drive, valid Drivers License and successful completion of a Criminal Background Check is required.
SCHEDULE: Full time; schedule is flexible but will include days, weekends, early hours and evenings.
SALARY: $50,000-55,000 per year dependent upon experience; exempt position; with full benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, etc. and generous paid time off.
APPLY: Open posting, position filled as needed.
1) completed application, 2) cover letter, 3) resume,
4) examples of science program scripts, 5) other writing
examples, such as brochures, newsletters, etc.
6) professional references (minimum of 5) to:
Human Resources Director
1950 North Clinton Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46805
Fax: (260) 422-2899